You may have heard and believed the myth that a PhD in education only gives you classroom knowledge. However, here is a program that gives you access to educational leadership and enables you to use research for real-life problems. Here are the best online edd programs.
The main difference between the edd program and the PhD. program is that the edd program focuses on educational leadership, while PhD. program focuses on education and research.
If asked to differentiate between the two programs, we just gave you an answer!
Get ready, we have a lot of stock for you. In addition to the best online edd programs, we also have online edd benefit programs, among others.
The table of content is right below:
- What are the Colleges That Change Lives?
- List of 13 Best Colleges that Change lives of Students after Graduation
- Best College computer for students FAQs
What is an Edd program?
An Edd program is a doctorate in education, and it prepares you for a career in educational leadership.
Just like the Ph.D. program, you will not only learn how to interpret research but it also trains you to apply the research in real-life settings. This differentiates them both.
This program will train you on critical theory and show how you can implement it to drive change in classrooms, universities, colleges, and other organizations. It is more like you are perfecting your role as a leader.
Best online edd programs encourage you to analyze your relationship with your research topics and work environments. The goal is to ensure that your leadership is fair and equitable for all people.
Features of best online edd programs
While the traditional edd program gives you the classroom experience, the online edd programs basically require a built-in camera, a microphone, and a strong wifi connection.
This doesn’t sound like a worthwhile experience, but the ability to combine it with your job fine-tunes the experience.
Many online EdD programs often have the following features:
- Virtual Live Classes: This allows you to participate in face-to-face online classes and discussions, and to interact with your teacher and classmates.
- Learning Management System: This is the central hub where you can access course materials, homework, live sessions, and forums, or message boards.
- Interactive Course Content: Incorporating a variety of mixed media, including videos, readings, and question/answer segments.
- Access to Tech Support: A strong tech support team is a must when dealing with time-sensitive, tech-dependent assignments.
- Mobile Access: One of the major perks of online classes is being able to bring your courses with you anywhere you go, across multiple devices and platforms.
It is important you note that there are some programs that offer on-campus immersions, where students meet at regular intervals to network with each other and their teachers.
Though class size varies from program to program, the best online edd programs are those with a class size of 15 students.
This ensures that each student receives attention and guidance from their professors and establishes relationships with their peers.
Universities that offer live classes typicaly have less students for a more concentrated experience.
What is the edd program Online Curriculum?
These are the common edd programs. They often include:
- Policymaking in education
- Organizational change and leadership
- Education supervision
- Instruction technology and methodology
For their learning objectives, a typical one involves;
- Learning the ability to see situations from different perspectives
- Applying theory to solving real-life education problems
- Using research to improve policy, programs, and practice in places of learning
- Identifying ills and advocating for social justice in educational places
What are the Online Edd Application Requirements?
If you are interested in online edd programs, you need to meet the following basic requirements:
- Have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university
- Have a minimum of 3.0 GPA
- A background in classroom teaching or relevant leadership work
Again, these requirements can vary. So, contact your desired school for theirs.
How to Choose the Best Online Edd Programs?
Here are some tips for choosing the right and best online edd programs:
Check the admission requirements: if this suits you, then check the other requirements below.
Look for Quality Indicators: Look out for schools with CAEP accreditation, membership in the Carnegie Project on the Education Doctorate (CPED), great graduate student reviews, and high U.S. News & World Report rankings for the College of Education.
Create a Comprehensive Budget: Some online Ed.D. programs have a campus component. You’ll need to plan for any travel expenses and accommodation. Also, ask if online students are eligible for scholarships & fellowships.
Consider if Public or Private: Public universities tend to have the most affordable online rates, but they don’t always charge the same tuition for in-state and out-of-state edd students. You’ll notice that our highest ranked schools tend to be private, internationally known, and expensive.
Research the College/School of Education: This will give you a sense of the university’s realm of experience and faculty interests.
Choose a Career-Focused Concentration: You don’t have to settle for a generic online doctorate in leadership. Choose one that has a concentration.
Some of the concentrations include Urban Leadership, Curriculum and Instruction, Organizational Leadership Culture, Institutions, and SocietyHuman Development, and Learning and Teaching.
The 13 best online edd programs in the World
We have a list of the 13 best edd programs online in the world.
We have also listed our ranking factor but let us recap.
1. VANDERBILT UNIVERSITY – LEADERSHIP AND ORGANIZATIONAL LEARNING
Vanderbilt’s Peabody Online offers one of the best edd online programs. It is designed for leaders in education who want the skills and knowledge for driving organizational change. You will also gain a new skill in data analysis.
This edd program online can be completed in 3-4 years and requires one annual on-campus visit and a project.
Sample Course Options:
- Leadership Theory and Practice
- Learning in Organizations
- Ethics of Leadership
- Psychological Perspectives on Learning
2. JOHNS HOPKINS UNIVERSITY – Online Ed.D. in Entrepreneurial Leadership in Education, Mind, Brain & Teaching, Urban Leadership
Students of Johns Hopkins have attended one of the best programs online. They learn how to participate in a diverse community or educational practice, contribute to public discussion on education, carry out practical research, and enact innovative policies.
They offer merit-based Ed.D. scholarships and international students are eligible and School of Education awards.
Outline of Program Components:
- Foundations of Education (12 credits)
- Applied Research and Evaluation (12 credits)
- Specialization Area (12 credits)
- Applied Dissertation (9 credits)
3. BAYLOR UNIVERSITY – LEARNING AND ORGANIZATIONAL CHANGE
This is one of the fastest online edd programs to complete in just 3 years.
You get to visit campus twice, then a final capstone project.
As graduates from this best online edd program, you will be experts in curriculum design and instruction, dynamics of organizational change, be skilled in enabling contextual learning and design.
In addition, you will be able to accurately engage in educational assessment and design.
Sample Course Options:
- Contemporary Curriculum Designing and Implementing
- Models of Teaching and Learning
- Teaching for Understanding
- Psychology of Learning
4. UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA – DISTANCE LEARNING
After attending this online edd program, graduates will have a sound grasp of global trends in education and their implications; they will be able to solve difficulties in education policy, evaluation, and practice.
This degree is fast, able to be finished in as few as 25 months.
Sample Course Options:
- Framing Educational Leadership in a Global Context
- The Fundamentals of Creativity, Innovations, and Entrepreneurship
- Understanding Research that Informs Leadership
- Location of Educational Performance Problems
The programs are of two types namely,
- The Online Ed.D. in Educational Leadership is a strong pick for urban PreK-12 educational leaders, teachers, and school administrators.
- The Online Ed.D. in Organizational Change and Leadership is geared toward candidates in leadership positions throughout the world (e.g. colleges and universities, private firms, non-profits, and government organizations).
5. New York University – Ed.D. in Leadership and Innovation
This is one of the best online edd programs that last for only 2 years.
NYU’s online Ed.D. is deliberately geared toward mid-level professionals who are currently in leadership positions and aspire to bigger roles.
6. Florida State University – Educational Leadership and Policy
This online edd program is one of the best degrees for education professionals seeking preparation in educational theory and research with an eye to becoming leaders in education by the practical application of knowledge and skills in areas of pressing need.
It can be completed in 3 years making it one of the fastest edd programs online.
7. Fordham University – Online Ed.D. in Educational Leadership, Administration and Policy
This hands-on online edd program is aimed at folks who are interested in K-12 educational leadership careers, including the assistant superintendent and superintendent positions. Fordham is a private school.
It is for three years.
8. UNIVERSITY OF INDIANA – Online Ed.D. in Instructional Systems Technology and Online Ed.D. in Literacy, Culture, and Language Education
The University of Indiana’s online doctorate of education stands out as an excellent online degree because of its two concentrations named above.
This degree program is designed to prepare education professionals to be better leaders in either literacy and language education or the production of educational materials, training materials, and environmental improvement.
9. University of Georgia – Online/Hybrid Ed.D. in Student Affairs Leadership
Are you a student affairs devout? UGA has set up online edd programs that explore every aspect of a leader’s job. If you enjoy collaboration and networking and don’t mind the occasional commute, this option could be perfect for your needs.
This edd program online is made for student affairs professionals, especially those at rural institutions or smaller universities who aspire to higher positions.
10. Arizona State University – Online Ed.D. in Leadership & Innovation
ASU’s online Edd program may be an attractive choice for working professionals who want an efficient degree schedule.
The edd program online boasts of tree concentrations;
- PK-12: Attracts aspiring superintendents, education administrators, teacher leaders, and curriculum specialists.
- Higher Education: For mid-level professionals (e.g. directors of units, student services personnel, instructional technologists, etc.).
- The Systems, Professional, and Reimagined Change (SPARC): For individuals in educational environments outside of schools & universities (e.g. professional schools, continuing education, corporate training, etc.).
11. Concordia University Chicago – Edd in Leadership – Health and Human Performance
This is another best online edd program that focuses on those who want to pursue academic, clinical, leadership, and research roles in health, exercise, kinesiology, human performance, and other related areas.
It examines the issues that come from physical activity, health promotion, and human performance.
This program also promotes small class sizes with 18 students per class as well as classes that start every eight weeks
12. Liberty University
This is also one of the best edd programs online. It prepares its students for academic positions requiring leadership skills and decision-making abilities in the educational world.
The diversity of the degree makes it one of the easiest online degrees to find a specialization that fits your goals.
This edd online program will give to its graduates the leadership skills and specialized knowledge in one of four areas of specialization that will aid them in becoming effective educational administrators, university professors, senior-level educational leaders, or educational policymakers.
13. University of Illinois – Education Policy, Organization & Leadership
With four different concentrations, this online edd program has a little something for everyone who’s interested in policy and practice especially those postsecondary settings.
Since it is 100% online, it is the best option for international students.
The concentrations are;
- Diversity & Equity in Education (DE)
- Global Studies in Education (GSE)
- Human Resource Development (HRD)
- Learning Design & Leadership (LDL)
Best edd programs online FAQs
What is the difference between a phd and an edd?
The basic difference between a Ph.D. in Education and an EdD in Education is that the Ph.D. is more research-based, while the Edd is practice-oriented.
Hence, those with an EdD will tend to work more as education leaders and administrators, while those holding a Ph.D. will tend towards research, university positions, and scholarly writing.
Why should I pursue an online edd program?
Earning an EdD will greatly increase your knowledge and skills in the field of educational leadership and administration. It will increase one’s potential to move into higher leadership positions. This will put one in a position to be more effective in formulating needed education reforms,increase influence, and improve earning potential.
What jobs can you get with a Edd degree?
Upon obtaining your doctorate degree in educational leadership, here are a few career paths to consider:
Chief Academic Officer.
Chief Learning Officer.
Training and Development Manager.
Social and Community Service Managers.
Does this article meet your immediate needs? If yes, click the SHARE button to share with your friends. However, if no, leave a response on the comment box to express your concern or ask a question and we will get back to you as soon as possible.
Hi!... Please can I send you updates like this when I see One?
If yes, please provide me your email